Friday, February 20, 2009

Katie’s Bachelorette Bistro Supper

So it was snowy last night. That isn’t surprising for Ontario in February. I was feeling lazy. Despite having a 5k race looming that isn’t so surprising either. Plus I was alone because Eric is in Montreal being a rock star. Boo.

When I was a student with limited culinary aspirations I probably had crackers in the cupboard, maybe some canned peaches. Now that I am a grownup (heh) I have a full pantry and a half-full fridge! Yesterday I still felt like I had nothing to cook with, but what do you know – I had enough for a fab meal.

Roasted Balsamic Onions
Salad with herbs and mustard dressing
Lightly Fried Egg (Market Fresh)

Preheat over to 375 degrees

Peel and cut an onion into wedges…any onion will do, I had a sweet one on hand and it was delicious

Place onion in an oven safe dish

Coat the onion with olive oil (extra virgin)

Pour over some balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper (kosher salt; freshly ground black pepper)

Cover with foil and bake for at least an hour, maybe even 90 min., stirring occasionally until soft and sweet

Dressing for salad (approx measurements): 1/2 c olive oil, ¼ c balsamic, salt and pepper, tsp of Dijon mustard and a pinch of sugar, dash of sesame seeds, whisked

Throw in some greens – I also added a handful of chopped fresh dill, this took the dish to bistro level – take that Rundles

Heat a small pan, add some butter (butter is key, about 1 tsp)

Fry one egg – I had a brown free-range med. market egg, it was amazing and made me feel good about eating it, and it wasn’t too big which was perfect. Fry lightly (you don’t want it too browned) over med heat. Add onto your salad. If the yolk is still runny when you cut the egg it will add to your dressing and this is AMAZING. Trust me.

Eat, enjoy, forget that your boyfriend is in Montreal without you and eat some cheese (eating cheese is optional, you should feel full from this meal, I swear, but I’m a girl, and sometimes we like to snack on cheese, ok?).

No comments: